Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Static electricity can kill.
DakianDelomast
post Sep 29 2004, 06:42 AM
Post #1

I will stand, or I will fall. But I will not sit.

Group: Members
Member No.: 58
Car: Miata & RX-7

Here's proof

Well maybe not kill, but maim.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
McKhaos
post Sep 29 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #2

The Devil's Cabbana Boy

Member No.: 831
Car: Outlander knock-off

Ok , that guy was a moron . I feel sorry about the truck .

+Quote Post
herkalees
post Sep 29 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #3

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 650

QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Sep 29 2004, 09:42 AM)
Here's proof

Well maybe not kill, but maim.

Holy shizer.

+Quote Post
dukenukem
post Sep 29 2004, 07:38 AM
Post #4

**Snuggles**

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 166
Car: 2006 Subaru WRX STI

on a normal winter day you can generate enough static charge to start your car ..... now next time your battery dies you know what to do wink.gif

+Quote Post
Enigma_Man
post Sep 29 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #5

Resident DSMer

Member No.: 486

QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 29 2004, 07:38 AM)
on a normal winter day you can generate enough static charge to start your car ..... now next time your battery dies you know what to do wink.gif

Hah, no. That's quite a few orders of magnitude from correct, sorry.

Static electricity can ignite stuff very easily though. That's why it happens at gas stations occasionally (and no, cellphones won't ignite gas, despite the stupid stickers on some pumps).

-Jesse

+Quote Post
dukenukem
post Sep 29 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #6

**Snuggles**

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 166
Car: 2006 Subaru WRX STI

QUOTE(Enigma_Man @ Sep 29 2004, 03:47 PM)

Static electricity can ignite stuff very easily though. That's why it happens at gas stations occasionally (and no, cellphones won't ignite gas, despite the stupid stickers on some pumps).

-Jesse

i had read it in some magazine somewhere....but these are some interesting stats

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of "static" at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires. His results were very surprising:

1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.

2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they went back to pull the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.

3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.

4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.

5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas

6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.

7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was reentered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.

8) Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

http://www.truthminers.com/truth/static_el...electricity.htm

+Quote Post
idiot
post Sep 29 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #7

learning

Member No.: 624

QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 29 2004, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE(Enigma_Man @ Sep 29 2004, 03:47 PM)

-Jesse

i had read it in some magazine somewhere....but these are some interesting stats

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of "static" at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires. His results were very surprising:

1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.

2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they went back to pull the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.

3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.

4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.

5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas

6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.

7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was reentered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.

8) Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

http://www.truthminers.com/truth/static_el...electricity.htm

Your second quote is the myth.

+Quote Post
Enigma_Man
post Sep 30 2004, 04:26 AM
Post #8

Resident DSMer

Member No.: 486

Cellphones can't ignite gas at all. To start a fire, you need a spark. Static electricity causes sparks. Cellphones do not. Getting in and out of your car is a good way to build up a static charge, and start some fire. I know that when I slide out of my car, and go to close the door, I often get a static shock. If I slid out of my car without touching the body, and then touched something near gasoline vapors, I'd probably start a fire.

It's pretty obvious to anybody who knows anything the dangers. Unfortunately most people don't know anything.

-Jesse

+Quote Post
Boxster17
post Sep 30 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #9

...lurking...

Member No.: 999

Well I'm not surprised it blew up. He filled the balloons with a highly flammable gas, and then gave it a charge. Well it's pretty much common sense that it'll blow up...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 08:25 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here