> Dump my 5D for a D700?
The Yank
post Mar 25 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Grease Monkey

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,616
Car: '99 Corvette

I love my 5D classic for its image quality, high ISO performance, and dynamic range. This makes it perfect for most static automotive photography work, but man does it suck donkey balls for any kind of live action. By live action, I mean trying to track a car on a road course or a dragstrip. Regardless of how I set the focus points, it consistently focuses on the wrong part of the car. From what my buddies with 5D MKIIs tell me, the AF on their cameras aren't any better. Since the 1D MKIV and 1DS MKIII are more money than I care to spend, I've come up with two solutions:

1) Keep the 5D for statics, and buy a 7D for action.

or

2) Sell the 5D, use it as an excuse to switch to Nikon, and go with the D700.

For those that have shot with both the 5D and D700, how much better is the Nikon's AF system? On paper, it kicks the 5D's ass (51 points vs. 9, and 19 cross-type points vs. 1), and quite honestly, I can't imagine a more inept AF system than the 5D's. Most people I know bought into the Canon system at the dawn of the digital age, and haven't yet made the switch, so I don't actually know many people that shoot Nikon. Switching all my stuff over to Nikon is going to be a pain, but Canon's been lagging badly for the last 3 years or so with no signs of catching up. The way I see it I'm investing in the future smile.gif

This isn't meant to be a 5D (MK1 or MKII) vs. D700 debate. I'd just like some feedback from people who have used both bodies in regards to the AF systems on each. The way I see it, the D700 offers image quality that's every bit as good as the 5DMKII's but with slightly better high ISO performance and a professional-caliber AF system. The 5D's AF system is fine for car-to-car and rig shots, but those aren't "real" action shots since the subject isn't moving much at all in relation to the camera. Some of my clients are sick of rig shots, so are asking for more live action shots, even if it's not on a track. And when I'm covering races, I need a reliable AF system. All the image quality in the world doesn't mean shit if the subject is out of focus.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Mar 25 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #2

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,999

I know people (yes multiple) who switched from canon to nikon and back to canon, and they swear it's not worth the hassle. You lose money every time, and every new model of camera that is released will always trump the competitor's latest offering.

Pick a system and stick with it. If you aren't happy with your 5d, then get a new body. If you aren't happy with Canon, you really need to play with the latest and greatest before you give up.

I went from 1D mk2 to 7d, and was blown away by the advances in technology. Then again, I was pretty much 4 or 5 generations behind the times. I still use the 1d2 as a dual wield, and photos from both bodies still make regular appearances in magazines on newsstands now

+Quote Post
The Yank
post Mar 26 2011, 06:48 AM
Post #3

Grease Monkey

Thanks for the feedback. How would you say the 7D compares to the 1D MKII for action photography, specifically its AF system? I'm curious how the 7D stacks up since the 1D MKII used to be the hot camera to have for action/sports stuff 6-7 years ago. Don't get me wrong, even as old as it is now, I love the performance of the 5D. It produces brilliant two-page spreads, even on the junk paper most American mags are printed on. The only thing I don't like it for is shooting moving cars, events, races, etc. That's why I'm thinking about a tandem combo of a 5D in addition to a 7D.

+Quote Post
Challengemaster
post Mar 26 2011, 07:14 AM
Post #4

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 6,195

I've the 5D too, and my next upgrade will be the 7D for motorsport stuff...

I really under no circumstances would get rid of the 5D, it's still amazing

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Mar 26 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #5

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,999

QUOTE(The Yank @ Mar 26 2011, 07:48 AM) *
Thanks for the feedback. How would you say the 7D compares to the 1D MKII for action photography, specifically its AF system? I'm curious how the 7D stacks up since the 1D MKII used to be the hot camera to have for action/sports stuff 6-7 years ago. Don't get me wrong, even as old as it is now, I love the performance of the 5D. It produces brilliant two-page spreads, even on the junk paper most American mags are printed on. The only thing I don't like it for is shooting moving cars, events, races, etc. That's why I'm thinking about a tandem combo of a 5D in addition to a 7D.

Not even close.

The focus speed and accuracy of the 7D makes the 1d MkII look like a point and shoot. I had forgotten how technology tends to double every 18 months, and the 7D is 3 or 4 full technology cycles ahead of the 1d MkII. I was blown away by how well the 7D performed at the first event I shot at. My only gripe is the ergonomics of the 7D, which suck especially without a grip. The 7D is also a generation (or 2, depending who you ask) ahead of the 5D, so the color saturation and sharpness is truly much better. The ONLY thing that the 5d (and 5d2) have over the 7D is the full frame sensor. But for me, the extra 1.6x crop means my 70-200 'reaches' that much further.

I'm not one to upgrade often or woo over the latest new equipment, but the 7D was the best decision I've made in a long time. My original reason for getting it was for high iso performance for the 3 night races I shoot per year, but the advancement in AI focus speed, accuracy, and color saturation were unexpected positive side effects.

QUOTE(The Yank @ Mar 26 2011, 07:48 AM) *

Not even close.

The focus speed and accuracy of the 7D makes the 1d MkII look like a point and shoot. I had forgotten how technology tends to double every 18 months, and the 7D is 3 or 4 full technology cycles ahead of the 1d MkII. I was blown away by how well the 7D performed at the first event I shot at. My only gripe is the ergonomics of the 7D, which suck especially without a grip. The 7D is also a generation (or 2, depending who you ask) ahead of the 5D, so the color saturation and sharpness is truly much better. The ONLY thing that the 5d (and 5d2) have over the 7D is the full frame sensor. But for me, the extra 1.6x crop means my 70-200 'reaches' that much further when shooting motorsports from a media pit at a race track.

I'm not one to upgrade often or woo over the latest new equipment, but the 7D was the best decision I've made in a long time. My original reason for getting it was for high iso performance for the 3 night races I shoot per year, but the advancement in AI focus speed, accuracy, and color saturation were unexpected positive side effects.

+Quote Post
GFWilliams
post Mar 27 2011, 06:36 AM
Post #6

Automotive Photographer

Member No.: 4,959

I've got a D700 and it was a replacement for my D300. To be honest, I don't think it was actually worth the upgrade as although it's no doubt a better camera, I don't think it's taken a single photo I couldn't have done on my D300. Could just be that I hadn't reached the potential of the D300 though...

Keep the 5D, it's a great camera.

+Quote Post
The Yank
post Mar 27 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #7

Grease Monkey

QUOTE(Jacob Photo @ Mar 26 2011, 08:41 PM) *
Not even close.

The focus speed and accuracy of the 7D makes the 1d MkII look like a point and shoot.

That's great to hear. I plan on renting a 7D before making a decision. I hope the 5D MKIII will have a real AF system when it comes out, but based on Canon's recent track record I'm not counting on it. Maybe they fear it will cut into the sales of the 1Ds MKIII too much? I can't wait that long anyway, so picking up a 7D to supplement my 5D may be the ideal solution.

+Quote Post
Costas
post Mar 28 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #8

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,294
Car: 01 S2000 / 04 ZX10R

I've gone from a D300 to a D700 and noticed a huge difference and it greatly helped out with my wedding work. With that said, it made no difference at all to my automotive shots.

+Quote Post
James Dean
post Apr 3 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #9

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 6,213
Car: Volkswagen Caddy2k

I use the 5dmkII and 7d combo. Couldn't be happier. The 5dmII is fantastic but it can't do anything that moves. I had trouble focusing on a leaf the other day, that's how pathetic it is. The 7D however is brilliant for the moving shots. I just hate the crop factor. It's lighting quick with it's AF system and the fps isn't too bad either, it sure beats the 5dmkII's.

I used to have the 1dMKII before the 5dmkII, not even comparable, the changes that have been made change the photo all together. Although, I preferred the landscape shots on the 1d.

+Quote Post
Nike SB'd
post Apr 4 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 3,959

QUOTE(GFWilliams @ Mar 27 2011, 07:36 AM) *
I've got a D700 and it was a replacement for my D300. To be honest, I don't think it was actually worth the upgrade as although it's no doubt a better camera, I don't think it's taken a single photo I couldn't have done on my D300. Could just be that I hadn't reached the potential of the D300 though...

Keep the 5D, it's a great camera.

QUOTE(Costas @ Mar 28 2011, 09:16 PM) *
I've gone from a D300 to a D700 and noticed a huge difference and it greatly helped out with my wedding work. With that said, it made no difference at all to my automotive shots.

Two people with rig shots for avatars and you both say you didn't notice a difference? Are you guys crazy? The full frame allows significantly more background and/or a longer focal length and thus less distortion for rig shots. I don't see how I ever did rig shots w/ a crop sensor.

+Quote Post
VisualEchos
post Apr 5 2011, 04:26 AM
Post #11

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,937
Car: Lotus Exige

QUOTE(Costas @ Mar 28 2011, 10:16 PM) *

I don't know what to say about this, I mean, wow.

+Quote Post
Theo
post Apr 5 2011, 07:36 AM
Post #12

Shift Noob

Member No.: 6,294

QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Apr 4 2011, 09:55 PM) *
Two people with rig shots for avatars and you both say you didn't notice a difference? Are you guys crazy? The full frame allows significantly more background and/or a longer focal length and thus less distortion for rig shots. I don't see how I ever did rig shots w/ a crop sensor.

SO true. I am very tired of shooting DX rig shots. I want to buy the D700, and was prepared to pull the trigger until the price rose $400+ due to the earthquake in Japan. Looks like I will be waiting a bit more now.

+Quote Post
Nike SB'd
post Apr 5 2011, 01:14 PM
Post #13

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 3,959

QUOTE(Theo @ Apr 5 2011, 08:36 AM) *
SO true. I am very tired of shooting DX rig shots. I want to buy the D700, and was prepared to pull the trigger until the price rose $400+ due to the earthquake in Japan. Looks like I will be waiting a bit more now.

Just buy one second-hand, I have only bought two new bodies in my life. Cameras are a loosing investment anyway and after a month your "new" camera won't be worth more than a used one anyway. Just my $.02

+Quote Post
The Yank
post Apr 6 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #14

Grease Monkey

I just finished up a shoot with a 7D and wasn't too impressed. The AF system's speed and accuracy was MUCH better than the 5D's. The 8 FPS enabled firing off way more shots for car-to-car and pan shots as well. Hence, for any given "hit rate," I walked away with many more usable, in-focus shots. However, I found the image quality disappointing to say to say the least. Compared to my 5D MKI, the contrast, saturation, sharpness, dynamic range, and high-ISO performance weren't nearly as good. It's nothing that can't be fixed in PP, but I don't like spending time processing images.

+Quote Post
GFWilliams
post Apr 6 2011, 01:36 PM
Post #15

Automotive Photographer

Member No.: 4,959

QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Apr 5 2011, 02:55 AM) *

I used a Sigma 10-20 on my D300. Fine for rig shots although the sigma certainly had distortion.

I now use a fixed 20mm Nikon lens on the D700. Not quite as wide as the 10-20 on crop. I'm pretty impartial between them for rig shots.

I do prefer the DOF for the longer focal lengths and the actual focal lengths of those lenses though smile.gif
Oh, and it is much better for ISO, although I don't do much high ISO stuff tbh!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 08:50 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here