> Model/Fashion Photography, UPDATED: 9th SEPTEMBER 2010
Dejan Sokolovski
post Apr 1 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #1

D E J J I S C H >

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,791
Car: Corvette C6 Z51

Instead of making new threads for each new model/portrait/fashion photo I'll take during this year I'll just keep em all in here...

As some already know I've been really tempted to start shooting some model photo this year along with cars of course.
There are lots of inspiration and ideas in this kind of photography and it's really fun and challenging, In my opinion this
is harder to execute than car photography because of the models poses/faces et.c...

So, as a first try me and my friends Dejan and Daniel went out yesterday to do some shootings for me to practice
and here are the results. Let me know what you think, I'm not sure what kind of retouching style I wanna go for this
but I guess different for every shoot/shot.

In the first ones I wanted to go Replay, G-star, Energie and alike brands-style. U know, the photos u see in their
broschures et.c, really love em!

Ideas and tips on how to make images better and lighting too is appriciated, as for now I use my Vivitar 285HV,
sometimes bare and sometimes with a omni-bounce lol... I was too lazy to use a umbrella, would it really make
such a big difference?

Posing is hard as hell, I shall never judge real models anymore! Out of 200 photos we ended up not looking
like retards in only a few ones... rolleyes.gif

Here are some shots to follow:

1 - Dejan & Dejan

2 - Dejan & Dejan

3 - Dejan & Daniel

4 - With a slight gay pose... haha

5 - Who doesn't stand in the middle of a field with sunglasses this beautiful day? LOL

6 - Also a bit gay, but whatever... tongue.gif

7 - Ain't no Dejan photos without massive clouds, right?

These are the ones for now, bomb with critique and things to do better for improvement, remember this is my first time basically except for
some shots here and there... biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Apr 1 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #2

SeagramPearce

Member No.: 4,265
Car: Mazda 2

After I saw the first one on FB, I was wondering how long it was going to be before I saw these on DS! biggrin.gif

I think the processing is very cool - its the Dejan style which you an actually carry over heavily into your fashion/people work. Your model work will just improve with time & experience with working with different kinds of models... you're excused seeing as you were your own model in some. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Webb
post Apr 1 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #3

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,109

Aside from your terrifying alien claw in #4, I'm actually diggin' these a good bit. Love the treatment on #2; sorta cross-coloration that's on-so-inevitable. wink.gif

Colors rock, as usual. Only other thing bothering me is you look superimposed in #1. The change in saturation and hue, as well as no shadow on an overcast day, makes a weird transition.

Posing in 3 and 7 is awkward, and you look gay in the rest- which was your intention, right? So all in all, a success! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mr.D
post Apr 1 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #4

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,001

Pull your pants up *singing* Pants on the Ground
I think you need to figure out the lighting, because it looks like you shot the backgrounds separately in 1, 3 and 5
I would suggest fill light instead of using the same approach as car lighting. You will have a hard time faking shadows.

+Quote Post
n1smo
post Apr 1 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #5

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,955
Car: BMW E91

Im no pro in models in no way, but some things
that i noticed on first sight.

some quick tips, mostly already mentioned.

Besides the missing shadows in some pictues, it looks like your left arm is missing in 1.
Jacket color and Background look too similiar. Same goes for the right guy in 2.

Did you break your fingers in 4?

Oh ya, and that:
Pull your pants up

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nate047
post Apr 1 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #6

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,281
Car: 1998 Honda Civic CX

Get a chick to model next time head.gif DS_Naughty2.gif

+Quote Post
Dejan Sokolovski
post Apr 1 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #7

D E J J I S C H >

Seagram, haha nice! Thanks man, I think it will improve with time yeah, gotta start somewhere! smile.gif

Webb: Hahaha I hate that u mentioned my alien claw or JEWISH CLAW, now thats the only thing I see. laugh.gif

mr.D: comeee on haha.. they're not THAT low down damnit. tongue.gif it's the jeans-design!

Outfit is something I should think twice about next time, not blending in. Didn't thought that for a second actually
but you are correct. I'm blending in to the background a bit in the first one.

About the shadows, isn't NOT showing shadows good in model photography? They can hardly be seen, I know but
would it really be better with a visible shadow? I would rather think that's distracting, much like a shadow from
a car on a wall behind the car, no?

Convince me why it would be better with visible shadows, except that it may look like the models are a bit pasted in
if there's no shadow at all...

+Quote Post
Dragos
post Apr 1 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #8

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 3,794
Car: GOLF V GT Sport 4motion

i like some of them. The locations are cool the posing and lighting so and so. Indeed in some of the i get the feeling that you are dropped in but as Seethegrim said with time you will master this things wink.gif

+Quote Post
Easton
post Apr 1 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #9

Race Driver

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

Those of you who have made the transition to fashion, how are you finding it? Is it relatively easy to apply your automotive styles to fashion?

It's quite common for car shooters to also do fashion, some of the biggest name auto shooters do fashion and they're really good at it. I certainly don't have an eye for it but I would like to try it one day, it'd be like being back in Kindigarden once more biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
daniele fontanin
post Apr 2 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #10

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,749
Car: LOTUS ELISE 111R

5 - Who doesn't stand in the middle of a field with sunglasses this beautiful day? LOL

great dejan!
As always a cool set: you are able to change a "normal" set into a supercool set...colours, also this time...are...AMAZING MAN!!!
And poses are OK!

+Quote Post
dcho
post Apr 2 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #11

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 55

the first one is very dragon age: origins-esque. nice set!

+Quote Post
Mark Eccleston
post Apr 3 2010, 07:13 AM
Post #12

Shift Noob

Member No.: 5,001
Car: 2000 Honda Civic

shots are coming out great man! don't slow down now Dejan! Now its time for one of your hot swedish lady friends!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dejan Sokolovski
post Apr 3 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #13

D E J J I S C H >

Thanks guys! Hahaha yeah I know, u wanna see hot swedish girls rather than me.. lol laugh.gif

In time friends, they're still freezin' outside! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Apr 6 2010, 08:03 AM
Post #14

SeagramPearce

Member No.: 4,265
Car: Mazda 2

QUOTE(Easton @ Apr 2 2010, 05:48 AM) *
Those of you who have made the transition to fashion, how are you finding it? Is it relatively easy to apply your automotive styles to fashion?

It's quite common for car shooters to also do fashion, some of the biggest name auto shooters do fashion and they're really good at it. I certainly don't have an eye for it but I would like to try it one day, it'd be like being back in Kindigarden once more biggrin.gif

Not really no. Maybe a bit with the processing, but even then, its completely different approaches. I personally think its difficult to be brilliant at several genre's (auto/fashion/stills/etc). If one ain't working out, then try another. But if you're brilliant at 1 thing, rather be known for that, than being amatuer at lots of things.

Unless you're like me who just tries to pay bills & therefore has to shoot whatever pays. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Dejan Sokolovski
post Apr 21 2010, 10:27 AM
Post #15

D E J J I S C H >

New Update with photos from this Monday... cool.gif

Finally I got to shoot a hot Russian girl this time...
She's only been modeling for 3 months, I must say she really knew her poses, a little so on and so on her expressions tho, but she'll get better for sure in time!!!

Anyways so we shot for like 8 hours, at different places, or actually... her fixing herself was maybe the half of the time... hehe, girls...
It was a nice shoot, I'm very glad with the outcome considering this is like my 3'rd shoot. Lighting was great in most of them, I'm really thrilled by the powers
of Vivitar 285's!!!

So what does the folks on dieselstation say? prepare for lots of photos.

First off Girl + my Corvette, later on Girl + superbike.

+Quote Post
joker69
post Apr 21 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #16

Andres Herren

Member No.: 4,373
Car: BMW M135i

woww they are great dejan. Love those pics. Very good ps!

Something that i don't like is the skin tone in Nr1 and the chicken skin in Nr2. My favourite is Nr6. Very good composition and lightning. Are those sun flares in all pics real or photoshop?

good work!

+Quote Post
Dragos
post Apr 21 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #17

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 3,794
Car: GOLF V GT Sport 4motion

where is the....pfff..come on man! 6 and 7 are the best shots....attitude, light, girl expression and composition......nice job man!

+Quote Post
PDJ-PHOTO.COM
post Apr 21 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #18

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 3,853

6 is winner! Great pic!!!
Like the first one very much too, but cant see her other hand... In some of them dont know if the wide angle works very good...

+Quote Post
SP50
post Apr 21 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #19

Shift Noob

Member No.: 4,938
Car: '99 Civic Coupe

QUOTE(PDJ-PHOTO.COM @ Apr 21 2010, 01:01 PM) *
6 is winner! Great pic!!!

+1

+Quote Post
n1smo
post Apr 21 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #20

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,955
Car: BMW E91

I was expecting some more gay time when clicking on this topic, now im relieved ;P

good job on those wink.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2020 - 10:26 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here