clarkma5
post Dec 8 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #61

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

QUOTE(maxima302 @ Dec 8 2008, 05:49 PM) *
I heard we were taking launch control off of future models!! I believe in less than half of the BS that has been posted on the web about it though...

Yes launch control's removed in 2010.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Dec 8 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #62

Halfabusa lover

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,525

QUOTE(maxima302 @ Dec 8 2008, 05:49 PM) *
I heard we were taking launch control off of future models!! I believe in less than half of the BS that has been posted on the web about it though...

Did you wonder why people were moving their votes to MJU?

(1) The GT-R can only produce the insane performance numbers it makes with VDC off.

(2) You need to turn VDC off to activate launch control.

(3) According to Nissan's warranty materials for the GT-R, turning VDC off for any purpose besides rocking the GT-R out of snow means that any damage your car sustains is not covered by the warranty.

(4) Numerous reports of transmissions failing after using launch control have started circulating the internet.

(5) The fact that Nissan is removing launch control entirely gives #4 some real credibility.

(6) Any doubt as to #4 was removed when a Nissan exec told Inside Line: "It's gone. We just don't want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore." http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2008...ch-control.html

+Quote Post
Aircooled
post Dec 8 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #63

Official DS Nazi

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,246
Car: 1989 BMW 325i, 1967 VW Beetle

Automobile mag named it their car of the year, bleh.

How can you name a car the Car of the year if the only way to get decent performance is to void your warranty and ruin a trans. Complete bs if you ask me...

+Quote Post
moe
post Dec 9 2008, 01:35 AM
Post #64

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451

Yeah InsideLine put it on their Editors' Most Wanted list as well. I was impressed when TG passed it up in favor of the ZR-1 as performance car of the year though.

The GT-R is a bucketload of fail.

EDIT: Apparently to compensate for the loss of VDC, Nissan is now equipping the Dunlop tires used on the 'Ring standard, and upping the horsepower by 5.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Dec 9 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #65

Halfabusa lover

upping the horsepower by 5.

Wow! 1%!

+Quote Post
4wheelfreak
post Dec 9 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #66

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 4,412
Car: 1998 BMW 328is

Finally. I'm sure that those 5 extra horses will compensate for the car's immense bulk and the fact that it can only be driven well with the help of a bajillion computers. Sign me up!

+Quote Post
darinzon
post Dec 12 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #67

/ hell0

Member No.: 1,681
Car: College

wow, you guys really love to hate this car. i'm perfectly satisfied with how my current non-launch control car now drives... i think if i had a gt-r i would be having a good time with or without the launch control. yeah there are bad parts about the situation, i know. but it's not all bad

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Dec 12 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #68

QUOTE(darinzon @ Dec 12 2008, 11:07 AM) *
wow, you guys really love to hate this car.

Nissan made a lot of promises that they couldn't fulfill. Without that last edge of awesome performance, its fatness, weird styling, and lack of driver involvement dominate the frame. At least that's how I see it.

+Quote Post
Uwe
post Dec 12 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #69

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 1,485
Car: Caterham Seven

Should I say it?

No, I'm not going to!

No but...

Cmon, Uwe, hold it back...

Arrrgh, I can't...

I TOLD YOU SO!

Sorry.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Dec 12 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #70

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(Uwe @ Dec 12 2008, 01:55 PM) *
Should I say it?

No, I'm not going to!

No but...

Cmon, Uwe, hold it back...

Arrrgh, I can't...
I TOLD YOU SO!
Sorry.

No you didn't. You told us that the car that made the Nurburgring lap was a ringer, not a production GT-R, which isn't at all related to the GT-R's weak transmission and weaker customer relations.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Dec 12 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #71

He also said the car was for sissies and was very uncool.

+Quote Post
Uwe
post Dec 12 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #72

Pit Mechanic

QUOTE(Mitlov @ Dec 13 2008, 02:14 AM) *
No you didn't. You told us that the car that made the Nurburgring lap was a ringer, not a production GT-R, which isn't at all related to the GT-R's weak transmission and weaker customer relations.

My baseline was, Nissan cheated. They cheated with the Ring lap in order to brag with a time of 7:29 and now it shows they cheated with their launch control in order to show off with the 0-60 numbers even if their transmission couldn't withstand (and don't tell me they didn't know that in advance). You wanted to believe in the Ring lap as well as into the fact that a car for 80,000 $ was a world beater. Don't blame me for that.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Dec 12 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #73

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(Uwe @ Dec 12 2008, 10:46 PM) *
My baseline was, Nissan cheated. They cheated with the Ring lap in order to brag with a time of 7:29 and now it shows they cheated with their launch control in order to show off with the 0-60 numbers even if their transmission couldn't withstand (and don't tell me they didn't know that in advance). You wanted to believe in the Ring lap as well as into the fact that a car for 80,000 $ was a world beater. Don't blame me for that.

Except it's never been proven that they cheated on the Ring time. Not remotely. I still don't believe that the car that did the 7:29 was modified from stock form, and that was the spearhead of your arguments against the GT-R. I see the Nurburgring "ringer" argument as a completely different issue than the transmission-and-warranty issue.

+Quote Post
Uwe
post Dec 12 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #74

Pit Mechanic

QUOTE(Mitlov @ Dec 13 2008, 07:52 AM) *
Except it's never been proven that they cheated on the Ring time. Not remotely. I still don't believe that the car that did the 7:29 was modified from stock form, and that was the spearhead of your arguments against the GT-R. I see the Nurburgring "ringer" argument as a completely different issue than the transmission-and-warranty issue.

To prove it you would have needed to get access on the GT-R that did the Ring lap two minutes after they finished the lap. And if you say "not remotely" then you are still ignoring all the physical conditions (i.e. power-to-weight ratio), you are ignoring the report from Drivers Republic (see "Porsche raises BS flag" thread) and you are ignoring the video from the ZR1 (that last argument of the speed difference through the Galgenkopf corner was as flawed as it could be). You want to believe in the fact the sky is green, that's my only explanation for this sort of stubbornness.

+Quote Post
Mitlov
post Dec 13 2008, 09:51 AM
Post #75

Halfabusa lover

QUOTE(Uwe @ Dec 12 2008, 11:14 PM) *
To prove it you would have needed to get access on the GT-R that did the Ring lap two minutes after they finished the lap. And if you say "not remotely" then you are still ignoring all the physical conditions (i.e. power-to-weight ratio), you are ignoring the report from Drivers Republic (see "Porsche raises BS flag" thread) and you are ignoring the video from the ZR1 (that last argument of the speed difference through the Galgenkopf corner was as flawed as it could be). You want to believe in the fact the sky is green, that's my only explanation for this sort of stubbornness.

Your jihad against this car, and your dripping condescension for anyone who has looked at evidence and come to a different conclusion than you, is growing tiresome.

+Quote Post
Aircooled
post Dec 13 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #76

Official DS Nazi

Member No.: 4,246
Car: 1989 BMW 325i, 1967 VW Beetle

Dude if Walter Röhrl can't get within 25 secs of Nissan's claimed time, you really have to wonder....

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Dec 13 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #77

QUOTE(Mitlov @ Dec 13 2008, 09:51 AM) *
Your jihad against this car, and your dripping condescension for anyone who has looked at evidence and come to a different conclusion than you, is growing tiresome.

I would hesitate to doubt Uwe's knowledge of the Nurburgring.

+Quote Post
Uwe
post Dec 13 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #78

Pit Mechanic

QUOTE(Mitlov @ Dec 13 2008, 06:51 PM) *

Which evidence, please? So far there are a lot of reasons to believe the Ring GT-R was a cheater and a lot less for believing it was not. The only evidence we currently have is the claim by Nissan that it was production state. I can claim a lot when the day is long.

And "my jihad against this car"? Puleeeze! Count your posts at DS concerning (I nearly wanted to say "wanking over") the GT-R and count mine. Everytime I dared to write something about the GT-R you jumped at my face accusing me of sounding like an old man or likewise. I really had a hard time not writing something like "you sound exactly like a lawyer - making big and eloquent words about something you don't have a fucking clue about".

Yes, I wrote it now. And you know what? For a very good reason. Neither did you ever drive on the Ring (let alone fast) nor do you seem to know what car weight means, nor do you know what one needs to make a car fast, nor do you know what can be achieved with clever electronics and what not. And I seriously doubt you have ever been on a race track with a fast car (I was often enough).

+Quote Post
moe
post Dec 13 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #79

Posting God

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,451

What does driving on a race track or driving at the 'Ring have anything to do with this? I'm sure Mitlov knows fairly well what makes a fast car, and he doesn't need to be a race car driver/track day fiend to know that. You've been badgering us incessantly on how the GT-R couldn't have pulled off the time they quoted since Nissan released the info. Who was Mitlov, or any other enthusiast, supposed to believe; a weekend 'Ring warrior, or Nissan, a company that happens to know quite a bit about making damn good sports cars? So just give it a break.

Also, at the risk of refueling the fire...there has been a lot of skepticism, but no one has officially disproved Nissan's laptime. If they have, please do let me know. And the DR article doesn't count.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Dec 13 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #80

How would one go about "disproving" Nissan's laptime? Proving that the car wasn't stock or finding evidence of the video being sped up? The car's long gone, we can't evaluate whether it was modified or not at this point. At this juncture all someone could do is prove that nissan's laptime was good by matching it (or getting really really close to it), which has yet to happen.

And I think driving on the 'ring has a fair deal to do with this. I've driven it, and though I can only claim to have begun to wrap my head around the place as I was leaving, it's quite clear that what makes a car fast at the 'ring is not necessarily what most bench racers will point to making a car fast, and let's face it, Mitlov's a bench racer.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th February 2020 - 11:32 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here