Dr. Strangelove
post Apr 20 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #1

VTEC yo!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,309
Car: 2007 Honda S2000

Hey guys,

It's been ages since I've posted on here but I just got a new job as a photographer for a dealership out here and I could use some help.

Its a pretty high-end dealer network and the owners want to have the best photos of any dealer in the country. For pro photogs, having the best photos possible is a very expensive proposition, but I have to keep in mind that most of my competition is like this:

The dealership wants to put in a dedicated studio in a small service bay at the dealer. They are investing in a turntable, new walls, lighting... the whole shebang.

Most of my photo experience is journalism related, but I've shot cars on a number of occasions. My mantra has always been shoot with as little equipment as possible, and if you run in to a wall with your given equipment, then go out and buy new stuff. The current situation means I have to be able to reccomend lighting equipment to my bosses that is cheap and massivly re-usable (Think 12 cars a day times 60 photos per car).

I have next to no experience with lighting or studio work, but I know a little.

So here's the question: What equipment do I need to set up an OK studio? We need best bang for the buck kind of stuff here. Mobility isn't really an issue, longevity and cost are. Ideally, I would like to keep the lights in more or less the same place for every car and just rotate each car around on the turn table.

It's a small all white room right now, about the size of a one car garage. I was thinking I would paint the back wall (A garage door) black to keep from reflecting anything and either mount two large soft boxes or lights of some sort from the ceiling.

I could really use some help here guys. They're investing a lot into this thing and I want to do it right. Any thoughts or reccomended reads I should look into?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 08:43 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here