> GTI - the 2013/14 off-season
350Z
post Nov 27 2013, 12:09 PM
Post #21

Efini

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,083
Car: 2005 Seat Leon Cupra R

I get an average of 28-30 MPG out of mine currently (goes up a bit in the summer) and as soon as I can I am fitting the draft 42s as I hear they tighten the throw up quite nicely. At the moment I am torn between throwng a bit of money at the Leon (exhaust, FMIC, springs and dampers) or just selling up and putting a deposit down and financing something more serious.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 27 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #22

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

I'm wavering a little bit about using this car as a basis for a track/HPDE/fun car, because it is in really nice shape as a road vehicle, but on the other hand it's only getting older, its mechanical history is 100% known and impeccable to boot so that seems better to wring to its limits than something with a totally unknown history, and there's a lot I can do with it without breaking the bank (relative to a lot of other cars on the market that would be worth tuning). So I'm sticking with my plan to convert this into something rather more extreme and uncompromised and pick up a DD in a year or two...probably a new car with financing, though maybe something late model used, haven't quite thought that far ahead.

Let me know what you think of those shift ends. IMO the best thing to do was to reduce movement of the transaxle relative to the shifter and that slop in the cables themselves isn't a significant contributor, but they're a cheap part, and I'm always interested in something that makes the feel of driving yet more precise!

+Quote Post
350Z
post Nov 27 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #23

Efini

Yeah thats pretty much the same way I feel about mine, it has been a really great car and I would miss it if it was gone but it is getting older now.

I am rather tempted by a brand new one of these

It has alot going for it.

0% APR on a new one
276 Bhp
Mechanical LSD
10 year 100,000 mile warranty

Or I could be stupid and just get a used TT-RS but I worry that it just wont be the same sort of fun as a hot hatch.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 27 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #24

Heh, yeah my problem is that my favorite choice for a new car is the MkVII GTI with the performance package...which will end up being a front LSD-equipped hot hatch a lot like what I'm trying to do with my car. Trying to find the balance between having a DD that doesn't bore me when I drive it but that I won't be tempted to modify (basically impossible dry.gif )

+Quote Post
350Z
post Nov 27 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #25

Efini

Speaking of modifications do you have an APR distributor near you? Because a map really wakes these engines up.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 27 2013, 01:08 PM
Post #26

Yeah there are a couple. A chip is on my list but I'm doing brakes first and then a few engine "stage 0" ish things. Basically, if my VAGCOM trialing leads me into engine maintenance, I'll do that, and I'd like to do a diverter valve (probably Forge 007, maybe 008) before I get into a chip. Also want to do a dyno run pre-chip as a baseline for whatever future power mods I do.

Beyond the chip also looking at coolant hoses, intake/turbo hoses, a larger intercooler, and an exhaust...some of those things might happen before the chip, I'm not 100% set on my order of operations yet. But one things for sure: the suspension can handle more power at this point and once I get brakes handled, so can they, so I'm definitely looking forward to it!

+Quote Post
350Z
post Nov 27 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #27

Efini

I dont know what its like in the states but over here APR will always do a before run prior to any sort of mapping because the guys are just as curious as you to see what kind of figures they can get and if you have stage 1 and want to go stage 2 ect then they do it FOC.

In regards to the diverter valve I had the 007P and then replaced it with the 008 (no differance I could feel) but knowing what I know now I would have eaither stuck with the OEM one or gone with an upgraded diaphragm one over the piston style because they react faster and dont need servicing.

I would 100% get a new intake pipe as the standard ones start to collapse on themselves at higher boost pressures.

What kind of brakes are you thinking of? I never really considered changing mine but I don't think we have the same 4 pot brembos.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 27 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #28

Did you have the old style Forge without the o-ring or the newer kind? The newer style supposedly reacts more consistently and goes longer between services...

For brakes I'm looking at TT front rotors with Ferodo DS2500 pads and 11" solid European rears with Hawk HPSs. I already have front and mid SS lines and will add the rears when I do the rest of the brakes (I also already have Hawk HPSs at all four corners on stock rotors, with RBF660 fluid). Also pondering front titanium brake pad shims to shield the caliper piston from the heat of the pad.

People who track their MkIVs seem to be in general agreement that anything beyond a TT front with appropriate rear is showing off...me, I just find it to be a very cost-effective upgrade. I don't have stock brembos, just the standard sliding 2-piston front/1-piston rear calipers on 11.3" front vented & 9.1" rear solid rotors.

+Quote Post
350Z
post Nov 27 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #29

Efini

The 007P was older but it 100% had the O ring as I had it out when I took it apart to service and replace the piston with the revised shape the 008 is only a year old.

I think the Cupra R runs the exact same brake set up as the TT so I can tell you that what you are upgrading to is pretty decent, the DS2500's are good too I just hope you don't mind cleaning brake dust off your alloys!

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 27 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #30

So how often did you feel you had to service the Forge DV?

I would expect the Cupra R to run either the 12.3" Front/10.1" rear all-vented TT 225 setup with sliding calipers all around or to run the 13.1" front/10.1" rear all-vented R32 setup. The TT/Golf/GTI/Jetta/etc. caliper is actually a single piston at every corner, while the R32 gets a 2-piston setup (with both pistons on one side of the caliper, so it's still a sliding design).

Happily I have just about the lightest MkIV you can get (2800 lbs. with all fluids and full interior, and I hope to be pulling a lot of interior out of it once I have another DD) so braking should be pretty manageable.

+Quote Post
350Z
post Nov 27 2013, 01:53 PM
Post #31

Efini

Well when I was at a show I got talking to the guys on the Forge stand and they said every 12,000 miles or so but that seemed stupid to me as the servicing interval for the car is 10,000 so why not just do it then.

There is a very basic test to check for leaks which is push the bottom piston up to the top of the valve while covering the top small vacuum nipple with your finger and then release the piston and keep the vacuum nipple covered.

If the piston moves back down whilst you have your finger covering the vacuum nipple then service the valve.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Nov 27 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #32

OK, good to know. For my use that would basically be a once-a-year service which isn't too bad, though just another thing on the maintenance list. When I go to buy a DV I will definitely factor that chore in my decision!

EDIT: Perhaps these are the way to go? http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_I...Hoses/ES257582/ http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_I...ormance/ES8818/

+Quote Post
350Z
post Nov 28 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #33

Efini

You cannot argue against the quality of the forge hoses, I used to have a forge intake pipe on mine before I switched to a full 3" pipe which forge unfortunately don't offer.

As for the DV I was going to suggest the R1 but I didn't want to sound like an APR fanboy plus it is the most expensive one of all.

Basically if I was to do it all again I would leave the standard DV in place (I have seen these handle 30psi no problem on big turbo applications) and if it was fine I just wouldn't change it.

+Quote Post
b0mb3r
post Nov 28 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 872
Car: MKV GTI

Can you use the DV from the 2.0T FSI motor? the new piston style DVs works great.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 09:42 AM