clarkma5
post Jun 16 2013, 12:13 PM
Post #42

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Heh, it's getting there, slowly...

Got Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around in mid-May and did a track day on June 1st. Car felt good, the brake fluid, lines and HPS pads on stock rotors took the abuse much better than stock ones and the bushing and spring changes have made the car more balanceable on the threshold of understeer...it's still an understeering car at the limit, but the grip levels are much higher and the adjustability with throttle and trail braking is better. It made a track layout that seems to really punish understeer pretty doable ( http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/ ). Can't wait to see what solid subframe mounts do, and in the future it's got me dreaming about adjustable camber plates...I couldn't quite get my tires up to temperature at the track (sunny and ambient ~70 F, albeit a very new and smooth surface) so they were graining a little bit, not too bad but the ability to tune the front end to get the tires in their working range would be nice. Also, to continue my mission of getting the front end to work better.

Unfortunately halfway through the day I started getting a clicking passenger side outer CV joint and decided to be prudent and call it a day. Looking at getting Raxles eventually but I'm in the midst of having to prepare for a move so I'm not sure when that'll happen :/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jul 8 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #43

Currently being shipped: new high-performance raxles driver & passenger side (replaces inner tripod with Porsche 930 Turbo CV joint, yay), solid subframe bushings, solid steering rack mounts, graphite-impregnated polyurethane front LCA bushings, polyurethane front upper strut mounts (Meyle ones are probably fine for a commuter but are well on their way to collapsing after 7,000 miles of my use). Aero wipers front and rear because I need wipers and the look is cleaner, and a cargo cover retractable cord dealy and the spare tire bolt because they've both broken!

+Quote Post
Synesthesia
post Jul 12 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #44

Race Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,585

Sounds stiff! Show pics of the job, sounds... laborious.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jul 14 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #45

it'll be pretty thorough but it's really not that tough to get the whole strut out.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jul 28 2013, 08:28 PM
Post #46

Installed saturday: raxles, solid steering rack mount & solid subframe bushings from USRT, black forest industries front LCA bushings, polyflex poly strut top mounts. Actually took pics this time, yay!

Starting out:

Pulled out the knuckles, control arms, and axles:

Old axles clicking at the track is what started this round of parts. Thought it was the passenger side outer joint but the driver's side inner joint is the only one that looks like this:

Front LCA bushings, graphite-impregnated poly. Between this and the stock strut mounts, this marks the end for original bushings/mounts in my front suspension!

Poly strut top mount, with my awesome friend enjoying a few too many beers as he helps me

Subframe dropped, bolts and parts everywhere:

Subframe out of ze car (my "while I'm in there-itis" immediately started kicking myself. "I could've replaced the sway bar mounts!" lol)

Pressing out old subframe pushings:

Dremel sanding subframe to get the new solid parts in:

Side by side: old steering rack mount and suframe bushing on left, new on right

Subframe with new parts on it:

So many parts! Hope I remember where they all go...

Yup, back in one piece, no problems with it at all!

+Quote Post
fiber optic
post Jul 29 2013, 06:28 AM
Post #47

Living the dream

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28
Car: Ford F-150, Mercury Grand Marquis, Volkswagen Beetle

That garage looks to be very well stocked with chemistry.

Also, does anyone offer a tubular subframe for these cars? It doesn't look particularly complicated and I'd be surprised if there wasn't one available.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jul 29 2013, 07:08 AM
Post #48

Haven't seen a tubular subframe, there are companies that offer tubular control arms, race bearings instead of bushings, etc. The company I bought the subframe bushings from also sells a "race-stiffened subframe" which is a stock subframe with those same bronze (brass?) bushings and some extra stiffening plates and such welded on: http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=1703

And yeah, his garage is very very well stocked, it's very nice to work in. "Oh, this wrench doesn't quite fit into this spot" "do you want the smaller, right angle electric impact then?" "fuck yeah!"

+Quote Post
fiber optic
post Jul 29 2013, 07:30 AM
Post #49

Living the dream

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28
Car: Ford F-150, Mercury Grand Marquis, Volkswagen Beetle

They don't list a price for that stiffened subframe. So it's probably expensive and they're not selling a lot of them. I'm guessing it's probably not worth anyone's time to try to make a tubular one.

It sounds like my father-in-law's garage. It seems like he has every tool ever, and all kinds of specialty stuff too. I feel embarrassed when he comes to my house to help with a project since my selection is far more basic. He doesn't complain though, apparently his other son-in-law has an even more limited selection.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jul 29 2013, 08:44 AM
Post #50

Yeah, I dunno what that subframe would cost. A new OEM one is about $500, the bushings are about $120, I'm guessing that race stiffened one is probably about $1000-$1500.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Jul 30 2013, 09:51 AM
Post #51

Oh man this set of upgrades feels awesome. At idle there's a tiny bit more steering wheel vibration, puttering around town doesn't feel any harsher (if anything, it goes over bumps more cleanly and in a controlled fashion at normal road speeds). The faster you go the better it feels, the confidence in grip both on throttle and in corners is really improved. Combined with the fizzy feeling through the palms of my hands as the engine winds through some resonance in the ~4500 RPM range (which is also the meat of its power band) makes for an exciting, almost old-school-VTEC-like rush as you wind it out, which is not something I would've ever expected from a stock 1.8T. The shifter is consistent now regardless of engine load, revs, and road bumps.

The car in general is really encouraging me to wind it out, explore the limits of its grip envelope, and definitely is ready for a commensurate increase in brakes & power. I'm calling the chassis DONE for the foreseeable future; as it gets more serious, I see sway bars (probably an intermediate tuning step), coilovers (ground controls over Koni Sports?), and camber/caster plates in my future. Other possibilities include TT or tubular control arms, various race bearings replacing bushings, chassis stiffening (braces and tie bars), and TT knuckles.

But for now, my next step is brakes (TT fronts, 11" euro rears, Ferodo DS2500s, a brake caliper refresh, probably fresh fluid again) and then to start getting into engine stuff (baseline dyno run, performance diverter valve, fuel system stuff (fuel filter for sure, upgraded injectors? fuel pressure regulator?), chip, 2.5" exhaust, intercooler upgrade, hoses & air piping) before getting into heavy duty drivetrain stuff (clutch/flywheel/diff/6-speed swap maybe)) before ending up at a "stage 2" power situation, probably a K04 upgrade but potentially an APR Stage III with the smaller turbo. By then I hope that this car will be a dedicated second fun/trackday vehicle so I can get into stuff like interior stripping, A/C removal, etc. That's the overall vision!

+Quote Post
Synesthesia
post Aug 5 2013, 04:37 AM
Post #52

Race Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,585

Fun! Should've done those sway mounts. wink.gif Looking forward to turning my DD into a dedicated fun car too.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 10:34 PM