Shigeta
post Dec 28 2013, 10:16 PM
Post #1

Shift Noob

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,555
Car: 96 328is

Hey guys!

Newbie here. I wanted to get some feedback on my recent photoshoot with a local friend who converted his 135i to a 1M. I am a relative newbie at photography, but I'm really trying my best to learn and improve.

I would really appreciate specific and constructive feedback about my work so that I can learn and apply it to my future work. I definitely feel that I have a TON of room to improve my work and I am very open to learn from some amazing photographers here on DS!

Anyways, without futher ado:

David's 1M Conversion by Meritus Photography, on Flickr

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Unibomber
post Dec 29 2013, 08:40 AM
Post #2

The Thrilla in Vanilla

Member No.: 5,299
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX

liiiiittle too dark I think. Its obvious the technique is there though so give it another go.

+Quote Post
Brent B
post Jan 1 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #3

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 7,473

Fantastic newbie work. My biggest problem with the set: The car is essentially the same size/distance from the camera in every shot (get some distance variance goin'). Also, don't forget to number your photos. wink.gif

Question: How many exposures for #2 and did you light the foreground as well?

Flickr | Facebook | Website

+Quote Post
Shigeta
post Jan 1 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Shift Noob

QUOTE(The Unibomber @ Dec 29 2013, 08:40 AM) *
liiiiittle too dark I think. Its obvious the technique is there though so give it another go.

Thanks for the feedback. In hindsight, when I look at them, I keep yearning for more detail and tone variation in the paint of the car. From what I understand, black is insane to shoot at night. Any tips for overcoming this obstacle?

QUOTE(Brent B @ Jan 1 2014, 03:20 PM) *
Fantastic newbie work. My biggest problem with the set: The car is essentially the same size/distance from the camera in every shot (get some distance variance goin'). Also, don't forget to number your photos. wink.gif

Question: How many exposures for #2 and did you light the foreground as well?

I appreciate the feedback. The insight on this forum is incredible. I didn't even realize the size issue, but looking at it now, it makes total sense! Very boring! I'll definitely number them next time.

The 2nd shot was about 10 various exposures. foreground and background was 3 total and about 7 or so for the car. The foreground was lit by the natural moon light and a ~3 minute exposure.

+Quote Post
Brent B
post Jan 2 2014, 04:22 PM
Post #5

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE(Shigeta @ Jan 1 2014, 11:20 PM) *
I appreciate the feedback. The insight on this forum is incredible.

The 2nd shot was about 10 various exposures. foreground and background was 3 total and about 7 or so for the car. The foreground was lit by the natural moon light and a ~3 minute exposure.

Ditto! It's kinda dead around here, so there's a few of us trying to liven things up. Keep posting! I love hearing what everyone has to contribute about everyone else's photos. So insightful and thought-provoking at times.

Okie doke. Thanks, that's really helpful! I need to try out more night shots and light painting--unfortunately, it's just too cold right now! wink.gif

Flickr | Facebook | Website

+Quote Post
Shigeta
post Jan 2 2014, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Shift Noob

Yeesh, that's the beauty of living in California! It's great weather for shooting 340 days out of the year.

+Quote Post
javo
post Jan 8 2014, 07:46 AM
Post #7

Shift Noob

Member No.: 4,495
Car: 350 Z

Great set, i do agree needs more detail but all in all the technique is there! I think lighting the ground some and having that reflection light the lower section of the car would bring the black to life. But all in all excellent shot. Lucky you have warm weather to shoot, kinda hard to shoot at -5!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 05:14 PM