Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What to use for lightpainting - my light aint big enough any more!
trackdemon
post Dec 3 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Pit Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,687
Car: Honda NSX 3.0; E30 BMW 318iS, Rover 75 CDT Con SE

So I've been getting by with reasonable success using an LED mechanics lamp, which is chargeable in-car and lasts 1000hours - very practical and does a decent job when its really dark, but its just not powerful enough for the kind of things I want to do these days. I've yet to find a decent cordless fluro lamp - the only one I have seen was less powerful than the LED.....

I know a good few of you guys are lightpainting so I'd be interested to find out what kind of gear you're using?

cheers,
Steve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
trackdemon
post Dec 5 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #2

Pit Mechanic

Maybe Saturday wasn't the best time to post this? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
GFWilliams
post Dec 5 2011, 05:40 AM
Post #3

Automotive Photographer

Member No.: 4,959

LED isn't the way to go as you get separation in the bulbs which gives a very streaky effect.

I use a 12V fluero tube which I run off a car battery. It's not really powerful enough, but when it's not, I just do shorter exposures, moving the light slower, and link them up in pp.

+Quote Post
MaTBoY
post Dec 5 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #4

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 6,191
Car: Mitsubishi Evolution VII

I used to use LED's but would either get the streaks (even through a built in defuser) mentioned above, or the light was to soft once defused in a softbox.
recently I've been carrying a vagabond and painting with a softbox covering the modelling lamp on a studio light. Been getting super clean results!

This shot was 3 layers. Top. Side. Front(Bonnet grille). Took about 5 minutes in shop layering and killing a few stray light trails from a hole in the back of light box. clean as!

+Quote Post
SC David
post Dec 5 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #5

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 6,775
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S

QUOTE(MaTBoY @ Dec 5 2011, 06:40 PM) *
I used to use LED's but would either get the streaks (even through a built in defuser) mentioned above, or the light was to soft once defused in a softbox.
recently I've been carrying a vagabond and painting with a softbox covering the modelling lamp on a studio light. Been getting super clean results!

This shot was 3 layers. Top. Side. Front(Bonnet grille). Took about 5 minutes in shop layering and killing a few stray light trails from a hole in the back of light box. clean as!
Very clean! This seems to be the way most people are going about light painting recently.

I tried the same thing, but with a Profoto 7b pack. The drawbacks are that the modeling lamp only lasts 15 seconds, and isn't all that powerful. And I don't own a 7b pack sad.gif

Gave it a go with a big ol 3x5 softbox:

Porsche 911 GT3 by davidbushphoto.com, on Flickr

Took two takes. Once for the side of the car, and once for the rear. Ambient sources caused the small highlights.

+Quote Post
trackdemon
post Dec 6 2011, 03:00 AM
Post #6

Pit Mechanic

QUOTE(GFWilliams @ Dec 5 2011, 06:40 AM) *
LED isn't the way to go as you get separation in the bulbs which gives a very streaky effect.

I use a 12V fluero tube which I run off a car battery. It's not really powerful enough, but when it's not, I just do shorter exposures, moving the light slower, and link them up in pp.

Yup have looked at these but really want to go fully portable - and as you've mentioned 12v isn't quite powerful enough. In an ideal world I'd like a large portable fluoro for less than 100 - but probably asking the impossible!

FWIW LED not quite as problematic as you'd think, if held side on it doesn't streak & you only see strakes if the highlights are very clearly rendered on the subject vehicle:

+Quote Post
john jovic
post Dec 19 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #7

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 3,675

Been using this for a few years now. You can use it with or without modifiers to suit. It'll burn your eyes out if you want (ie it's quite powerful), or you can turn down the brightness or number of banks of LED's operating to suite. I made it because I couldn't buy anything like it. Still works well although I hardly ever light paint any more.

battery powered, no cables, light enough to comfortably use for long periods.

small softbox fitted, but can have a larger modifier fitted if needed.

result with small softbox

result with large softbox

result with no modifier at all

result with no modifier at all, but gelled

More here, photocornucopia.com/1035.html .

JJ

+Quote Post
trackdemon
post Dec 21 2011, 04:38 AM
Post #8

Pit Mechanic

Thanks JJ, thats interesting. Like so many things in our little world of car photography, it looks like the best solution is to custom build to suit our precise needs.....

+Quote Post
john jovic
post Dec 23 2011, 02:49 AM
Post #9

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 3,675

QUOTE(trackdemon @ Dec 21 2011, 10:38 PM) *
Thanks JJ, thats interesting. Like so many things in our little world of car photography, it looks like the best solution is to custom build to suit our precise needs.....

No problem. There are lots of different methods you can use, it just depends on what you want. Custom building things isn't for everyone, but I don't mind doing that kind of thing.

JJ

+Quote Post
PGD
post Jan 20 2012, 03:28 AM
Post #10

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 6,509
Car: MX5

My results are not the best.. But I use LED light myself, which has just the one LED

Its a bike light, so battery powered, compact, lasts hours and at 900 lumins its really quite bright. I sit the light in a home made softbox to give an even square of light as John Jovic mentions. The lightbox then has a moveable hood, pull the hood forward and the reflected light is hard edged, move it back level with the diffuser for a softer edge smile.gif

Result:

Stanced Coupe by PGDesigns.co.uk, on Flickr

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 04:15 AM