> The last video, plus the final contraption
clarkma5
post Sep 14 2003, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Alright, I made the last video I plan to make today, and got it all encoded and such, and there will be no more! Well, maybe, but I'll only feel compelled if I either get a new car and/or I get a nice condenser microphone so I can put a mic right next to the exhaust so my videos sound cooler...yeah, but for now, I'm done with these videos. My final mounting solution for my camera was by far the best of the three I tried, and it allowed me to be much more aggressive (and therefore entertaining) because the camera was very steady.

Anyway, the video's here (2 minutes, 21 megs): http://www.bigpenguin.org/Videos/GTIRun2.wmv

And the "ideal" mounting solution is below tongue.gif :

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cyclone
post Sep 15 2003, 06:49 AM
Post #2

Mmmm that feels nice.

Member No.: 2
Car: 2018 Hyundai ES/1994 Mazda Miata

Does your car have the tiptronic transmission? I notice you reach down everytime you need to change gears and iirc you have an automatic. Also nice setup but did you have the camera zoomed in any? And you talk to yourself while driving more than I do tongue.gif

Nice video(s) btw. If I wasn't lazy I'd go out and make one.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Sep 15 2003, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Yes, I have tiptronic, and yes I talk to myself a lot, and I did zoom my camera in a bit (I probably should've zoomed just a little bit more.)

+Quote Post
5LiterMustang
post Sep 15 2003, 03:16 PM
Post #4

Race Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

not bad, you guys have nice roads around. I have ultra-residential areas and a lot of cops sad.gif

a question about the tiptronic: how much lag time is there between when you shift the handle and when the transmission actually shifts gears?

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Sep 15 2003, 03:21 PM
Post #5

I'd say that there's a beat of shift lag, if you get that that means. I find it hard to put a value of time on it; it's just that you push the lever and then there's this small (but noticeable) "beat" of time then it shifts. The timing seems very natural to me, at the very least, but I kinda wish it were faster (my understanding is that the VW tiptronic is relatively fast as manumatics go, too.)

As for our roads, yes! The SF Bay Area is quite lucky in that regard; down here in the south bay we have such "famous" roads as Skyline ridge and highway 9, and summit road too. The first GTI Run video I did went up Old Santa Cruz highway to Summit Road, which then turns into Highland Way and mount Bache Road...the farther up I went, the more out of the way I was. I ended my first video just a couple miles before that road turns to dirt.

in the second video I didn't range as far; I just went up highway 9 a bit, and got stuck behind what may well have been the slowest truck in the world, so I turned around and "defaulted" to pierce road, which is a pleasant little back-way into the wealthy neighborhoods of the saratoga hills. And I'm sure all that means absolutely nothing to you because you don't live here tongue.gif

+Quote Post
rio
post Sep 16 2003, 02:02 PM
Post #6

crisp and refreshing

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Car: :raC

You should do this again, but this time mount the camera in a passenger's hand, so that a more interesting video is obtained.

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Sep 17 2003, 06:17 PM
Post #7

yes, that would make my blabbering seem less maniacal and more friendly.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 12:17 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here