Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mods for a 91 accord?
AgaBoogaBoo
post Feb 5 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #1

NSX is timeless

Group: Members
Member No.: 395

I'm bored and have nothing else to do so I was wondering where I can find what mods I can do to my 91 accord lx 4 cylinder. Yes, I know it's a four cylinder, but I'm not expecting much.

What mods would bring up the HP and what are the prices on these?

Also, it has about 160k miles with origional clutch still, would it hurt the car to redline it? My dad is more of a conservative driver so never took it high tard.gif Kinda shocking, yeah, i know. Anyway, what's a safe RPM to take it to? Dad has probably never taken it above 3.5k rpm.... I don't want to damage the car either, would 4k be a safe limit? I've got to keep this car as long as possible...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Feb 5 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #2

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Group: Admin
Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

Redline's there for a reason, that's what the manufacturer deemed was a safe RPM for the engine to spin at, assuming the engine's in good shape. Wouldn't rev the crap out of it if the oil hasn't been changed regularly etc.

+Quote Post
Guest_Diesel_*
post Feb 5 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #3

Guests

i used to have a 91 accord sedan.. and the only thing i did to it was:

1. neuspeed front/rear strut bar
2. cold air intake
3. neuspeed springs
4. some bbs style wheels
5. DC Sports exhaust

that was it. i mean after all it's an accord.

+Quote Post
AgaBoogaBoo
post Feb 5 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #4

NSX is timeless

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 5 2004, 09:39 PM)
Redline's there for a reason, that's what the manufacturer deemed was a safe RPM for the engine to spin at, assuming the engine's in good shape. Wouldn't rev the crap out of it if the oil hasn't been changed regularly etc.

I think dad gets it changed every 3k miles

Could it cause any damage?

+Quote Post
Cyclone
post Feb 5 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #5

Mmmm that feels nice.

Member No.: 2
Car: 2018 Hyundai ES/1994 Mazda Miata

Just because it's only a 4cyl doesn't mean anything. It's quiet amazing what little 4bangers are capable of now. Since it's a Honda the aftermarket for it is extremely big. There are a lot of things you could do to your Accord. Just don't go all Fast and the Furious with it, k? Do some performance mods and very little body mods. A tasteful body kit is fine but no stupid 50ft spoilers and shit plz

+Quote Post
clarkma5
post Feb 5 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #6

Talkin' the talk since 2003

Member No.: 27
Car: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T

QUOTE(AgaBooga @ Feb 5 2004, 09:44 PM)

It's old, but revving it won't cause any damage besides normal wear and tear. Personally, I think opening an engine up every once in a while does it some good.

+Quote Post
AgaBoogaBoo
Post #7

NSX is timeless

QUOTE(Cyclone @ Feb 5 2004, 09:47 PM)
Just because it's only a 4cyl doesn't mean anything. It's quiet amazing what little 4bangers are capable of now. Since it's a Honda the aftermarket for it is extremely big. There are a lot of things you could do to your Accord. Just don't go all Fast and the Furious with it, k? Do some performance mods and very little body mods. A tasteful body kit is fine but no stupid 50ft spoilers and shit plz

Yeah, I don't wanna change body at all. Dad got it painted so it looks newer, people thought he bought me a new car driving by tongue.gif

+Quote Post
AgaBoogaBoo
Post #8

NSX is timeless

QUOTE(Diesel @ Feb 5 2004, 09:44 PM)
i used to have a 91 accord sedan.. and the only thing i did to it was:

1. neuspeed front/rear strut bar
2. cold air intake
3. neuspeed springs
4. some bbs style wheels
5. DC Sports exhaust

that was it. i mean after all it's an accord.

How much would you estimate each of those?

+Quote Post
Guest_Diesel_*
post Feb 5 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #9

Guests

back then.. i think i paid:

1. neuspeed front/rear strut bar - $250 both
2. cold air intake -$125
3. neuspeed springs -$150 installed
4. some bbs style wheels -$1200
5. DC Sports exhaust - $350

+Quote Post
Cyclone
post Feb 5 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #10

Mmmm that feels nice.

Member No.: 2
Car: 2018 Hyundai ES/1994 Mazda Miata

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 6 2004, 01:49 AM)
QUOTE(AgaBooga @ Feb 5 2004, 09:44 PM)

It's old, but revving it won't cause any damage besides normal wear and tear. Personally, I think opening an engine up every once in a while does it some good.

Yeah, opening it up does do it quite a good. There is this little thing that people refer to as the Italian Tuneup which is basically where you over-rev your engine and it clears all the carbon buildup and shit out.

+Quote Post
fiber optic
post Feb 6 2004, 05:23 AM
Post #11

Living the dream

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28
Car: Ford F-150, Mercury Grand Marquis, Volkswagen Beetle

QUOTE(Cyclone @ Feb 6 2004, 01:04 AM)
Yeah, opening it up does do it quite a good. There is this little thing that people refer to as the Italian Tuneup which is basically where you over-rev your engine and it clears all the carbon buildup and shit out.

That's my excuse for when I just want to hammer the throttle. However the last time I changed the plugs they were perfect. So it works! Haha

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Feb 6 2004, 05:58 AM
Post #12

I will stand, or I will fall. But I will not sit.

Member No.: 58
Car: Miata & RX-7

Mods for a 91 accord... http://www.nopi.com

+Quote Post
Guest_Lee7_*
post Feb 6 2004, 06:22 AM
Post #13

Guests

My freind has a 91 Accord... personally i dont think you should do any mods to it. Its just not worth it, the car was never meant to go fast and never meant to handle good. Attempting to make it go faster or handle better will just result in complete and utter failure unless you spend tons of cash on it... when you should be spending the money on a real sportscar.

I also think its kinda sad that your daddy has just let you have his (what i assume to be daily driver) and then you wanna fuck it up right when you get access to it. Take the car for what it is, a DAILY DRIVER, not a sportscar.

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Feb 6 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Lee7 @ Feb 6 2004, 09:22 AM)
My freind has a 91 Accord... personally i dont think you should do any mods to it. Its just not worth it, the car was never meant to go fast and never meant to handle good. Attempting to make it go faster or handle better will just result in complete and utter failure unless you spend tons of cash on it... when you should be spending the money on a real sportscar.

I also think its kinda sad that your daddy has just let you have his (what i assume to be daily driver) and then you wanna fuck it up right when you get access to it. Take the car for what it is, a DAILY DRIVER, not a sportscar.

The scary part is I agree with you.

I mean I know that "souping up" a honda accord might seem like a good idea but it really really isn't. Cold air intakes will submerge your engine, new suspension will make it a lot harsher ride, and overall you're going to hurt more than you help if you start tweeking it.

My best advice is to save the money you want to spend on modding the car and spend it on a more realistic sports car. I mean even a Civic Si with a B16 engine would be a safer bet than the F series engine you have in your accord. Lets say you get a CAI, Rims, Tires, and maybe a suspension. That easily is going to run you between 2500 and 3000 dollars and there are a lot of late 80s and early 90s sports car in decient conditions that cost that much.

You can look for F-bodies, mustangs, RX-7s, Supras, GTis, BMWs, just about anything you can imagine can be had just so long as you dont mind its over a decade old. Of course... So's your honda...

+Quote Post
dinomite
post Feb 6 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #15

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 157

I totally agree with the above two posts. I would say don't put any money into mods for it at all; instead, save your money for a sports car. The Accord is a fine car for a daily driver and it should do that for a very long time without any trouble. It really just isn't worth modifying, espeicially if one does so with the intent of being as fast as even the most mundane sports cars. In order to do so, you spend so much that you could easily have a sports car.

+Quote Post
BLacK FirE
post Feb 6 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #16

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 228

blah you all beat me to it, i just wasnt going to be as nice about it. was going to be more along the lines, sell it and get a new car. and just because its a 4banger means shit. you can still get a lot of hp out of it.

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Feb 6 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #17

What can I say... I'm on a roll today.

+Quote Post
Enigma_Man
post Feb 6 2004, 11:29 AM
Post #18

Resident DSMer

Member No.: 486

There's nothing like taking a car you're used to, and is nothing special, and tweaking it a little bit. It can feel like a totally new car just by doing something that'll add a couple extra horsepower or ft-lbs.

I loved tinkering with my Rabbit (two door econo box) all the time, and now with my much higher powered Laser. It was great fun, and terribly cheap (I did mostly DIY, so if it didn't work, no biggie). Everything I do makes me more excited about the car.

As far as revving it goes, if your dad's never revved it before, you might be in for a headache. There's probably a lot of carbon buildup on everything, making everything seal and seat comfortably, where it has its whole life. If you go revving it real hard, you might dislodge some of the buildup, and do anything from start leaking a little oil here and there, to making your valves not seat very well, and lowering your compression.

Personally, I rev my car all the way up all the time, and It's gone 40,000 miles like that without one complaint or malfunction.

Also, about the red-lines, that's mostly the manufacturer's safety level. The highway speed limits are also 65, because most people are retarded and would kill themselves if they went any faster. On cars like mine (not mine in particular, I still have the stock rev limiter) people have set the fuel cut to 8000 RPMs on a stock valvetrain (500 rpms higher than stock) and rev all the way up there without problem. But, YMMV.

Chances are though, on a stock car you won't get any extra power from the engine by revving it higher. The torque drops off too steeply, because you're trying to breathe more air than it can through the system, and the car can't maintain cylinder pressure. You'll just make a lot of extra noise smile.gif (which is also fun too). Feel free to rev the car throughout the entire available range though, it can turn a ho-hum commute to work to a fun experience.

Just be careful, and mind other people, don't be dumb and do stupid stuff.

-Jesse

+Quote Post
AgaBoogaBoo
post Feb 6 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #19

NSX is timeless

QUOTE(Lee7 @ Feb 6 2004, 06:22 AM)

I meant to indicate that I don't plan on modding it right now, or even anytime soon. It's just interesting to see what's available. I guess this line didn't quite get it across, but I would agree with you, it's a daily use car, not a sports car.

I'm bored and have nothing else to do so I was wondering where I can find what mods I can do to my 91 accord lx 4 cylinder. Yes, I know it's a four cylinder, but I'm not expecting much.

+Quote Post
AgaBoogaBoo
post Feb 6 2004, 01:13 PM
Post #20

NSX is timeless

QUOTE(BLacK FirE @ Feb 6 2004, 11:01 AM)
blah you all beat me to it, i just wasnt going to be as nice about it. was going to be more along the lines, sell it and get a new car. and just because its a 4banger means shit. you can still get a lot of hp out of it.

I didn't say 4 banger in terms of today, I meant to relate to the time period, you honestly don't expect a 91 four cylinder accord to be much, do you?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2020 - 10:57 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here