brasher
post May 30 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Aussie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,916
Car: 1979 Mazda RX323 Rotary

Hi DS'ers,

I have a shoot this weekend with a Black Superleggara (with Aftermarket rims lol)

Doing some location scouting, I am finding it hard to find a place that suits the vehicle, the lambo is raw, angular and aggressive so a background to match is suitably difficult to find. I am resorting the the Keep it simple notion that a simple background with repeating patterns might be the go as not to distract from the car too much.

That brings me to my next dillema, how to make the car stand out!

The shoot will be at night and lit with a fluoro ballast, the background I have found is rather dark and moody. My biggest fear is losing the car into the background and the shoot not been what it could of been.

I have thought of rim lighting the car, and also a High Key look but the location would need to be light and open in the first place would it not?

If anyone has any inspiring dark cars and dark background images available that I can disect in my head that would be great, as well as any other sort of wisdom.

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john jovic
post Jun 1 2010, 02:59 AM
Post #2

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 3,675

Hi CHris.

I think you're asking for trouble trying to shoot it against a dark background but it ceratinly could look fantastic too if you're happy to put in the PS time. If you want to rim light them as well then chances are you'll have the light in the shot and then of course you'll have to PS it all together. You know the drill anyway. I tend to just lightpaint cars just from the front and side (ie, no Photoshop needed at all) so I need the background to work for me, not against me.

I've found that most times, depending of course on the location itself, the background lighting has done a fine job of rim lighting or separating the car from the background. I would prefer a background that was essentially lighter than the car to ensure that the car stood out.

The biggest tip I can give you is to probably test the location and see if it will do what you want. It might seem like a bit of trouble but it's probably worth it, at least in my experience it certainly has been.

JJ

+Quote Post
brasher
post Jun 1 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #3

Aussie

Thanks John,

Since posting the first message I have found a much better background, it's inherently much lighter and very technical/modern so hopefully works well.

The spot has fluoro's iteself, and the light is relatively white and colour cast free so I will use that light to rim the car a bit as you suggested.

It will also work well with the rigs, as you know rolling underneath fluoro's give fantastic striplighting.

Looking forward to the shoot but very nervous at the same time, not too often exotica like this come up.

+Quote Post
Blue Devil
post Jun 3 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #4

Anda a freir monos en la sarten de palos.

Member No.: 3,612
Car: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM

sounds like you got a pretty good idea of what you are gonna do... it helps to have a plan but don't get caught up in it. Roll with it... you might not get exactly what you had in mind but it does help.

I have not done any car photography for a while.. but i did this a while back.. black car at night:

hopefully those serve as a bit of what do to.. what not to do for you.

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Jun 3 2010, 06:19 AM
Post #5

SeagramPearce

Member No.: 4,265
Car: Mazda 2

Blue Devil has much better samples of what you can do with a black car at night.

Here's a couple more. Same principle, just different. I like to go for pure highlights & not worry about details in the black... its also the easiest & cheap-ass way of doing it. tongue.gif

Looking back at these (all shot over a year ago) I think they pretty shitty & would shoot a black car at night totally differently these days. But hey, you asked for samples, this is what I got...

+Quote Post
brasher
post Jun 3 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Aussie

Thanks guys appreciate the responses. Both of those shoots I definately remember and were both well executed, If I get something as good as those I'll be very happy.

I think I shoot best when I have an idea in my mind of what the image will look like as the end product instilled into my head, that way I can break it down into what needs to be done and not have to worry about the "what if" factor.

But then again, some of my best work has been just from "going with the flow" and seeing what happens smile.gif

The lighting you got on the Audi Seagram is exactly like i'm after, small sharp highlights that accentuate the shape of the car, I think with the Lambo it will further emphasise the aggressive shape.

I've never done High Key, so this will be a first for me. Will see how it turns out.

Once again, thanks for all the advice/images, was a great help.

Chris.

+Quote Post
OzCarSightings
post Jun 3 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #7

Shift Noob

Member No.: 4,657
Car: 09 VW R32 and 09 R1

Hey Chris, good luck with it - always a special moment to shoot a Lambo, such dramatic cars!

LP570-4 or the original Superleggera?

+Quote Post
brasher
post Jun 3 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #8

Aussie

I'm actually not sure, I know it's a Superleggera but thats about it.

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Jun 3 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #9

SeagramPearce

If you're wanting small strip lights, then keep your light source small.
If you're using a torch/softbox/whatever, modify it with a gobo so you end up with a small light source (if it isn't already).

+Quote Post
brasher
post Jun 4 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #10

Aussie

I use this mate, powered by a 2 stroke Generator.

The barn doors mean I can focus the light really narrow, or shut off half the ballast for half power/narrower beam.

http://www.coollights.biz/cl455p-cool-ligh...light-p-67.html

Thanks for the tip smile.gif

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Jun 4 2010, 02:32 AM
Post #11

SeagramPearce

^^ damn thats a lot of light wattage you got on that thing! Probably more than you'll ever need.

Shooting at f11 or f12, 30sec exposure, I find my 30W flouro too bright sometimes! You got 220W going there! For model photography however, that puppy must be awesome! Looks better built than the kinoflos.

+Quote Post
brasher
post Jun 4 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #12

Aussie

yeah it's crazy power! and the light is perfectly nuetral. I love it.

+Quote Post
Mr.D
post Jun 4 2010, 07:16 AM
Post #13

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,001

Sometimes its better to shoot long exposures with f16 and up, because the sharpness will create to much aliasing on higher aperture.

+Quote Post
Blue Devil
post Jun 8 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(brasher @ Jun 4 2010, 05:59 AM) *
I use this mate, powered by a 2 stroke Generator.

The barn doors mean I can focus the light really narrow, or shut off half the ballast for half power/narrower beam.

http://www.coollights.biz/cl455p-cool-ligh...light-p-67.html

Thanks for the tip smile.gif

how heavy is that bad boy? smile.gif firedevil.gif

+Quote Post
Blue Devil
post Jun 8 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(brasher @ Jun 3 2010, 11:03 PM) *
The lighting you got on the Audi Seagram is exactly like i'm after, small sharp highlights that accentuate the shape of the car, I think with the Lambo it will further emphasise the aggressive shape.

wink.gif

Seagram already answered how to get it done. smile.gif

+Quote Post
brasher
post Jun 8 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #16

Aussie

owner of the cars wife gave birth during the planned day of the shoot, so postponed to this Weekend.

I'm excited but nervous at the same time, has all the ingredients to be an amazing shoot I just have to execute it.

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Jun 8 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #17

SeagramPearce

QUOTE(brasher @ Jun 9 2010, 06:20 AM) *
owner of the cars wife gave birth during the planned day of the shoot, so postponed to this Weekend.

I'm excited but nervous at the same time, has all the ingredients to be an amazing shoot I just have to execute it.

If you've put in the prep time, you can only be successful. There is no other outcome.

+Quote Post
brasher
post Jun 14 2010, 03:51 AM
Post #18

Aussie

All done now, Shoot went really well. It's not often i'm happy with everything on a shoot so it was a rare instance. smile.gif

Took plenty of the advice on here on board, went with a "medium key" look if you know what I mean, some parts blown out and kept the lows/shadows in the interesting parts of the image with some exposure blending and lightpainting.

+Quote Post
OzCarSightings
post Jun 14 2010, 05:37 AM
Post #19

Shift Noob

Member No.: 4,657
Car: 09 VW R32 and 09 R1

Good stuff. When can we expect to see the pics online?

+Quote Post
RaymondN
post Jun 14 2010, 05:48 AM
Post #20

Photographer

Member No.: 4,888
Car: 2004 Mustang

Can't wait to see the pics! I'm super behind on this but I'd like to finally try some light painting myself one of these days...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2020 - 05:57 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here