Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building a didicated Photo editing station PC
iLLuZioNz
post May 18 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Grease Monkey

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,637

Well my 2 year old MB Pro isnt cutting it anymore. I bought it originally for general use but over the last two years have tried to do all of my editing there too. There isnt enough memory in this thing and I just dont really care to edit on a laptop anylonger so I really want to build a blazing fast desktop PC. With Bridge and CS5 running and a Firefox window its all my MB Pro can do to keep up.

I know the basics of how to get this done but havent built a computer in YEARRRS so im not familiar with new technology, or technology that is best suited for a stand alone dedicated photo editing powerhouse. This computer will literally see 0 online internet time and will solely be used to edit/store pics and maybe some of my music.

Can anyone recommend specific pieces? I know I will just buy as much memory as I can shove in it depending on what processors are preferred by you guys. As for hard drives would a solid state be preferred or what? Really looking for a shopping list as answers to my questions or at least a good place to start. Im not looking to spend $2,000 and hell prices have come down on this stuff so much I dont think one would need to anymore.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post May 19 2012, 04:14 AM
Post #2

SeagramPearce

Member No.: 4,265
Car: Mazda 2

What you can do is look at what parts pre-built "gaming" PC's are used. This will give you a good indication of what is a good combo to use. 4 years ago I built my PC as a gaming PC & literally spent the most I could on parts (self built). I still use it & use it as my main editing rig. You'll find that what you need for gaming is very much what you need for heavy editing.

+Quote Post
iLLuZioNz
post May 22 2012, 06:24 AM
Post #3

Grease Monkey

Awesome! Thanks for the help Seegram!

+Quote Post
iLLuZioNz
post May 22 2012, 08:59 PM
Post #4

Grease Monkey

ok computer nuts what do you think about this setup? What am I missing here, Ive double and triple checked compatibility. This GPU is apparently huge and the full size tower may be overkill, but... im open to suggestions.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SRQ21...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

ASUS M5A97 mobo

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Samsung Electronics Extreme Low Voltage 30nm DDR3 1600 240-pin DDR3 (4GBx2)

Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST

AZZA Solano 1000 CSAZ-1000 Full Tower Case
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KCNYV...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

LG IPS231P-BN 23-Inch Widescreen LED LCD Pivoting Monitor with IPS Panel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 04:16 AM