Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shooting video w/ a dslr, Anyone try it?
John Potts
post Jan 29 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #1

Grease Monkey

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,004
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima SER

Has anyone with a video capable DSLR shot video with it? I have a 7D and I've been meaning to give video a shot. so I figured theres probably enough people here with 5D MKII's, or 7D's, or whatever Nikon has to offer ( I dont mean to make it sound like I was hating on Nikon but I dont know their lineup like I do canons).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mitch Hemming
post Jan 29 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #2

www.mhemming.com

Member No.: 6,034
Car: Honda Accord 1997

Ive got a nikon D90 which correct, me if im wrong, was the first dslr ever to have video? so in other words, its absolutely crap. i wouldnt use it for any serious videoing. just for behind the scenes/mucking around etc

i know that a lot of professional videographers use the 5D2. its a pretty renowned camera for its video quality etc

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Jan 30 2012, 03:43 AM
Post #3

SeagramPearce

Member No.: 4,265
Car: Mazda 2

I tried my hand at video for the first time the other week. Used the 5dmk2. It was... interesting. Ran out of time actually just due to the fact that I had to still shoot the stills part of the job. But I kinda like it. Makes me appreciate even more the guys who produce incredible stuff with it! Its not forgiving AT ALL.

+Quote Post
Jacob Photo
post Feb 1 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #4

Pit Mechanic

Member No.: 4,999

Have I shot video with it? yes.

Am I good at it? nope.

Do I offer it to my clients? no.

I know that the video workflow is COMPLETELY different from the photography workflow, and I don't have the time, patience, software, or accessories to support doing video work.

+Quote Post
brodiebutler
post Apr 23 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #5

Dirty Oil Filter

Member No.: 6,460
Car: none

I'm pretty keen on the DSLR video side of things for a couple years now. I do a fair bit of filmmaking here and there on the side incl. music videos etc.
More on point though I have some of my friends film Behind The Scenes videos of my own car magazine shoots. I can share the links if anyone is keen. We have used a combination of the 5DMKII, 7D, 1DMKIV and now the 5DMKIII.

If you've got any questions id be happy to try help.

+Quote Post
Seethegrim
post Apr 24 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #6

SeagramPearce

Member No.: 4,265
Car: Mazda 2

QUOTE(brodiebutler @ Apr 24 2012, 08:21 AM) *
I'm pretty keen on the DSLR video side of things for a couple years now. I do a fair bit of filmmaking here and there on the side incl. music videos etc.
More on point though I have some of my friends film Behind The Scenes videos of my own car magazine shoots. I can share the links if anyone is keen. We have used a combination of the 5DMKII, 7D, 1DMKIV and now the 5DMKIII.

If you've got any questions id be happy to try help.

Post your youtube channel or vimeo channel!

+Quote Post
brodiebutler
post Apr 26 2012, 02:07 AM
Post #7

Dirty Oil Filter

my youtube channel is DrivelineBrodie

Just look for the videos starting with "PerthStreetCar BTS"

+Quote Post
rob200sx
post Apr 26 2012, 03:44 AM
Post #8

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 5,586

I'm hoping to do a bit this weekend with a 5d mkII, I think my main worry is focusing and having to use the live view to focus with, I haven't finished my steadicam yet!

+Quote Post
brodiebutler
post Apr 26 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #9

Dirty Oil Filter

QUOTE(rob200sx @ Apr 26 2012, 07:44 PM) *
I'm hoping to do a bit this weekend with a 5d mkII, I think my main worry is focusing and having to use the live view to focus with, I haven't finished my steadicam yet!

Nice! What steadicam setup you putting together?

Yeah the focus is a tricky game to play. You need to train your fingers to use that digital zoom button like second nature (magnifying glass with + in it on top right). It took me a lot of hours behind the camera to really get a hold on the focus in different situations.

Im not sure what you know about it, but make you setup the camera properly too or you'll run into all sorts of bizzare problems. I spent a lot of time researching this, and put my findings here: how to setup your canon hdslr camera for shooting video/

+Quote Post
rob200sx
post Apr 27 2012, 02:11 AM
Post #10

Grease Monkey

Member No.: 5,586

It's pretty basic but at it's heart, a steadicam is only a counterweight so that's what I've done, it needs some refining for sure. Since tie-wrapping weights to it isn't the way to go smile.gif but it works pretty well and cost me 7.99 to make

I'll checkout your link, thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 07:09 PM