Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going to the pistol range tomorrow, should be fun
Recruit
post Dec 30 2003, 03:06 PM
Post #21

Texan

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

My parents are talking about getting a gun because there was a home invasion of people my mom knew and 2 of the family members were killed. My dad always grew up with guns in the house, but he didn't want me and my siblings to get curious and hurt/kill someone so he didn't buy any guns. But he says we are old enough to know guns are dangerous.

My uncle BTW has about 30 some guns. He said next time I go up to his place he'll take me to the shooting range. Now that my grandpa is in the crazy home, my uncle has all his guns including his military issued M1.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
green73ta
post Dec 30 2003, 03:08 PM
Post #22

Now fortified with Fahrvergnügen!

Member No.: 405
Car: 1978 Trans Am, 2007 VW Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg

Anyone here ever messed around with a Desert Eagle? I put a few rounds through a friends at a range once. .44 Magnum. Kicked like a bull. I've seen them in .50 and I can't even imagine what that would be like.

+Quote Post
Recruit
post Dec 30 2003, 03:14 PM
Post #23

Texan

QUOTE(green73ta @ Dec 31 2003, 02:08 AM)
Anyone here ever messed around with a Desert Eagle? I put a few rounds through a friends at a range once. .44 Magnum. Kicked like a bull. I've seen them in .50 and I can't even imagine what that would be like.

My friend's stepdad's friend bought one in Germany. Some skinhead tried to steal his car while he was over there and he put the barrel right between the kids eyes and he took the skinheads wallet. Taught the poor bastard how to steal.

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 30 2003, 06:14 PM
Post #24

I will stand, or I will fall. But I will not sit.

Member No.: 58
Car: Miata & RX-7

QUOTE(green73ta @ Dec 30 2003, 06:08 PM)

The fact that you are talking about Gas Operated pistols proves to me just how intelligent you really are.

+Quote Post
NorthPoint
post Dec 30 2003, 06:40 PM
Post #25

N/A

Member No.: 86

QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Dec 30 2003, 05:37 PM)
laugh.gif by your measure my dad is a fucking idiot then because we have easily 3 dozen rifles in our house and I havent even bothered to look for pistols. He's a collector of vintage rifles and he takes them to the range and shoots them. He's got a carbine (small rifle) from the Civil War down there somewhere in near mint condition.

People like you are so narrow minded that you dont realize all it takes is a little knowledge and information about firearms and you can avoid nearly all accidents. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to kill stuff with guns.

Wow, such a spirited defence against someone just saying they don't believe firearms belong in the home.

Your Dad is a collector? Good for him. I'm sure he enjoys his hobby. And I'm sure he stores all his rifles securely in a gun safe when he is not using them at the shooting range.

I am hardly narrow minded when it comes to firearms. Rifles can be an important tool, just like a hammer or saw.

According to the US National Safety Council, in 1993 there were 205 children under the age of 15 who died from accidental shootings. How many would there be if people didn't have firearms in the home?

On average, 60.2% of all suicides are committed with firearms (18,545/year). How many would there be people didn't have firearms in the home?

The decision to own a firearm is an individual decision. For me, the right decision is not to have them.

+Quote Post
White RSX
post Dec 30 2003, 09:21 PM
Post #26

Super Great Guitar Player!

Member No.: 132

QUOTE(green73ta @ Dec 30 2003, 03:08 PM)

you shot your friend?!?!?!?! laugh.gif

but Mumriken, our dad is a collector and does store them in a gun safe, what Dakian is trying to say is that accidents happen because people dont know what theyre doing, if people had more education on firearms there would be less accidents.

yet the suicides are inevidable, if a person wants to go through with it, they will, no matter the cost.

just my .02

+Quote Post
DakianDelomast
post Dec 30 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #27

I will stand, or I will fall. But I will not sit.

Member No.: 58
Car: Miata & RX-7

QUOTE(Mumriken @ Dec 30 2003, 09:40 PM)
stuff

Suicide should be a crime that is punishable by death. Accidents in the home could simply be avoided by education. Tell me something, if people are allowed to keep guns, but arent allowed to keep them in a home, where do you put them?

Honestly you do not understand firearms enough to make blanket statements about what people should or shouldn't do and just because someone has guns does not make them less intelligent. You come from a different country with different laws and in fact I would be insulted to live somewhere where guns were removed by law. Its a slap in the face when someone says that you are not reponsible enough to own a firearm.

Sometimes I even parallel my interest in guns to my interest in cars. Cars are dangerous and thousands of people die because they go too fast or they drive outside their limits, should cars be banned? Should sportscars be banned? We certainly dont need them. While I never expect to change your viewpoint on this matter and you will probibly hate guns for all eternity it should never be a measure of intelligence just whether or not someone is interested in weapons or not.

+Quote Post
NorthPoint
post Dec 31 2003, 07:33 AM
Post #28

N/A

QUOTE(Xenocyde @ Dec 31 2003, 12:21 AM)
but Mumriken, our dad is a collector and does store them in a gun safe, what Dakian is trying to say is that accidents happen because people dont know what theyre doing, if people had more education on firearms there would be less accidents.

yet the suicides are inevidable, if a person wants to go through with it, they will, no matter the cost.

just my .02

Accidents do happen because people don't know what they are doing, but they also happen just because they're accidents.

You have to admit that not all parents are as responsible as your Dad. Not everyone keeps their gun in a gun safe. Some people keep their guns in their bed side table, underwear drawer, closet, or where ever.

Suicides are not inevitable and its been proven time and time again. First of all most people who are suicidal will reach out for help at some point. People who are planning on committing suicide also develop a plan on how they will do it. Whether it's jumping off a bridge or shooting themselves. That's why waiting periods are great for buying firearms since a person can't act directly on impulses. Those five or seven days (?) can mean the difference between a person staying alive or killing themselves. Even when it comes to bridges it's been proven that when suicide barriers have been erected on a bridge people don't just move to another bridge.

A friend of mines best friend blew his brains out with his shotgun this year. He came home one night, things had been going pretty shit for a while, his wife was naturally pissed off that he hadn't come home the previous night, he just went upstairs, five minutes later it was all over. Would he be dead today if there wasn't a gun in the house? I don't think so.

+Quote Post
fiber optic
post Dec 31 2003, 07:59 AM
Post #29

Living the dream

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 28
Car: Ford F-150, Mercury Grand Marquis, Volkswagen Beetle

Blah blah blah

People also electocute themselves, slip in the bathtub, cut their toes off with lawnmowers, get all their hair caught on fanbelts, etc. etc.

I thought the same way as you do Mumriken, but that was before I ever fired one. It was fun and now I'm addicted. smile.gif

+Quote Post
NorthPoint
post Dec 31 2003, 08:00 AM
Post #30

N/A

QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Dec 31 2003, 01:17 AM)
Suicide should be a crime that is punishable by death. Accidents in the home could simply be avoided by education. Tell me something, if people are allowed to keep guns, but arent allowed to keep them in a home, where do you put them?

Honestly you do not understand firearms enough to make blanket statements about what people should or shouldn't do and just because someone has guns does not make them less intelligent. You come from a different country with different laws and in fact I would be insulted to live somewhere where guns were removed by law. Its a slap in the face when someone says that you are not reponsible enough to own a firearm.

Sometimes I even parallel my interest in guns to my interest in cars. Cars are dangerous and thousands of people die because they go too fast or they drive outside their limits, should cars be banned? Should sportscars be banned? We certainly dont need them. While I never expect to change your viewpoint on this matter and you will probibly hate guns for all eternity it should never be a measure of intelligence just whether or not someone is interested in weapons or not.

"Suicide should be a crime that is punishable by death." - Wow, now there is a narrow minded statement. Why don't you educate yourself on suicide before you make such a rediculous statement. Oh, but you probably think you're better than people who commit suicide.

If you enjoy shooting as a hobby and you just use your gun at the club why not just keep the gun there? Don't they have gun safes for their members? Maybe they're not set up that way, I dunno. Let me know.

I have never said that if someone has guns they are less intelligent.

As for living in another country, yes we do have different laws here. And there are some types of weapons that you are not allowed to own here. But no one is going to remove your legally registered firearm.

And btw, I don't hate guns.

+Quote Post
NorthPoint
post Dec 31 2003, 08:10 AM
Post #31

N/A

QUOTE(fiber optic @ Dec 31 2003, 10:59 AM)
People also electocute themselves, slip in the bathtub, cut their toes off with lawnmowers, get all their hair caught on fanbelts, etc. etc.

I thought the same way as you do Mumriken, but that was before I ever fired one.  It was fun and now I'm addicted.  smile.gif

Sure they do. But we need electricity, bathtubs are a pretty good idea, lawnmowers tend to be pretty useful, and fanbelts are necessary sometimes as well.

Here's a relevation, I've fired a gun too. And I have been hunting.

You found a sport that you enjoy, great! Enjoy it.

+Quote Post
mogulmonster
post Dec 31 2003, 08:47 AM
Post #32

Stuck in the Tundra

Member No.: 106
Car: 2005 Honda Civic EX, 2000 Dodge Durango R/T

Here's my thought on the subject. When a parent chooses to keep firearms in the house, they need to be in a safe, with triggerlocks on them. The ammo needs to be stored in a seperate locked compartment.

When your kids are old enough to learn to use them, they need to be trained first how to assemble / disassemble and clean them. Then they need to be trained to use them safely. Taking away the mystery of firearms and creating a respect for them will prevent kids from sneeking peeks at the guns and playing with them.

I have a 9mm, .22 rifle, and a 30-30. I don't have them in a safe right now, but it is high on my list of purchases. I also don't have any children in my house, so I'm not too worried, yet.

Like anything that has the potential to hurt or kill someone, adequate training and respect must be learned. Without that, it simply becomes a toy, and in the hands of someone inexperienced mistakes happen all to often.

+Quote Post
Recruit
post Dec 31 2003, 04:02 PM
Post #33

Texan

Suicide and "accidents" are part of God's plan for that persons end. You don't want to try and stop God's plans do you? (Note: humor kinda)

What if your house was broken into? Would you like to sit there and watch you crap get taken away or get raped or killed? I bet not. Stuff like this happens. There are bad people in the world. Sometimes the police aren't going to be there in time. When you don't have something to protect yourself with then your risks of being harmed are much greater.

Not to long ago someone posted a movie clip of a robber that broke into a store and the gun slipped out of his hands. The store clerk picked it up and the robber ran out. This shows that guns prevent crime. My uncle has a .38 in his nightstand, a 12 gauge in his closet and a .50 S&W handgun in his dresser. But all his kids are grown up and moved out, so he doesn't have to worry about "accidents". But even when his kids lived with him he had about 5 guns all in the same place. He just introduced his kids to firearms at an early age and let them know what to do if he was away and someone broke in and made them know the dangers of guns. "Accidents" never happened because of the education he gave to his kids.

+Quote Post
rio
post Jan 1 2004, 01:46 AM
Post #34

crisp and refreshing

Member No.: 26
Car: :raC

QUOTE(Mumriken @ Dec 31 2003, 08:00 AM)
"Suicide should be a crime that is punishable by death." - Wow, now there is a narrow minded statement. Why don't you educate yourself on suicide before you make such a rediculous statement. Oh, but you probably think you're better than people who commit suicide.

I do think myself better than the people who commit suicide. The people who attempt suicide because they are calling our for help, in my opinion, truly are the losers. They have failed at life, and lack the ability to handle their own problems. I have no sympathy for them. If you are depressed and you want help, I will be glad to give it, just don't expect me to be remorseful if you kill yourself.

I am less of an asshole about the issue if you are killing yourself for reasons other than being an attention whore.

+Quote Post
White RSX
post Jan 1 2004, 10:47 AM
Post #35

Super Great Guitar Player!

Member No.: 132

i'm a loser, but i still enjoy my life. but does that make you better than me? suicide is a dishonorable death, and thats my 2nd $.02

+Quote Post
Mr b00st
post Jan 1 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #36

That Frigging BMW Driver

Member No.: 222
Car: 1997 BMW 328i

our family only has one handgun, and it's mine. It's a Ruger revolver, single action, 6.5" barrell. It's only a .22, though. Nice gun, i use it for plinking. Ammo is waaaay cheaper for rimfire .22's than centerfire cartridges.

we've got a shitty single shot .22 rifle bolt action, a newer Ruger 7 shot bolt action .22 with a scope, and a 30/30 with a scope. And for home defense, a 12-gauge shotgun (I believe a winchester)

However we have no good public ranges, so I recently got some airguns to use in the back yard. The 1000fps rifle is really quite accurate, and the C02 powered handgun is fun.

my .02 cents.

+Quote Post
green73ta
post Jan 2 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #37

Now fortified with Fahrvergnügen!

Member No.: 405
Car: 1978 Trans Am, 2007 VW Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg

QUOTE(Xenocyde @ Dec 30 2003, 11:21 PM)
you shot your friend?!?!?!?! laugh.gif

No I didn't shoot my friend! I was shooting my little 9mm Makarov and he handed me the Eagle. Compared to the Makarov it about took my hand off.

I was, however, once shot in the chest with a black powder pistol (wadding only) from about 6 feet away. I very nearly shat myself.

+Quote Post
rio
post Jan 2 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #38

crisp and refreshing

Member No.: 26
Car: :raC

Ooh that sounds like a fun story.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 12:04 PM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here